Mrs. Ellis Brings the Kitchen to the Classroom through Culinary Arts

Kiril Hadjipetkov, Staff Writer

One of the most cherished classes WMMHS has to offer is Culinary Arts. Students all over Mendham including myself always look forward to the point of the day in which we get to hone our cooking skills, crafting delicious, healthy platters for everyone to enjoy. This class is run by no other than Mrs. Ellis, whose bright passions for cooking and teaching light up the room. 

As I ventured to A-floor and entered the Culinary Arts room, Mrs. Ellis was taking her free time to cook a spice blend for a staff event. “It’s a blend of spices for lots of different stuff. It’s an Ethiopian recipe by New York City chef Marcus Samuelsson who owns lots of restaurants, there’s one particular in Harlem.” Seeing my cooking teacher selflessly craft a unique item of food in her free time only further reinforced my faith in Mendham’s cooking program.

To say the least, Mrs. Ellis is an experienced chef. She has been cooking for roughly thirty years. Aside from cooking at home, Mrs. Ellis attended the Culinary Institute of America for two years immediately after highschool. It didn’t stop there. “I did professional chef work for about seven years, then I quit that, got married, had children, and then went into teaching.” From learning to doing to teaching, Mrs. Ellis is what every aspiring chef would want their teacher to be. Furthermore, Mrs. Ellis is extremely passionate about the classes she teaches and realizes the importance of a course like this at a school like Mendham. “I think as far as my students are concerned, it’s a place for them to unwind, integrate with other students from other grades in a safe setting, and also learn essential life skills.” Well said, Mrs. Ellis.

Due to the massive amounts of positive feedback from her classes, Culinary Arts is extremely limited to students. I was lucky enough to participate in this course, but I can’t say the same for various others who have actively voiced their disappointment in not being able to join. 

500 Internal Server Error- 澳门网上信誉赌场

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

“It would probably meet once every two weeks, there would most likely be dues so we could purchase ingredients, and I would probably run it in a seasonal manner, utilizing fresh ingredients that are available.””

— Mrs. Ellis

Mrs. Ellis brought this idea up in the past to the administration, which has been previously rejected due to the already large amount of extracurricular activities that exist. Teachers receive stipends, which are essentially how they get paid for extracurricular activities, and funding for additional clubs is limited. While this is sad news, it doesn’t mean that the cooking club cannot exist. Realistically, with if students paid for their own ingredients and expressed a motivation to form this group, we could most likely see this becoming a thing in the near-future. As a senior who is about to graduate very soon, I ask those of you who are younger to consider this, and potentially make it a reality. If you are interested in the idea of a cooking club, make your voice heard!